This recipe was one of the recipes in my free online crockpot group I hosted on Facebook last month and it was a HIT!!! You haven't checked out one of my free Facebook groups, comment or email me (email@example.com) and I can add you to the next one! Right now I am hosting a Clean Eating group and I will most likely do another crockpot group in March! They are so much fun! :)
Crockpot Minestrone Soup
21 Day Fix ~ 1 cup = 1 Green, 1 Yellow, ½ Red
1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage
1 small onion, diced
2-3 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups frozen green beans
1 small zucchini, diced
1 cup fresh spinach
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juices
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 cup elbow or small sized pasta (whole wheat if you can find it)
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Freshly-grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
1. Brown sausage in a skillet, breaking into small pieces; add to crockpot.
2. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, green beans, tomatoes, broth, and beans to crockpot
3. Add the bay leaves, oregano, rosemary, and red pepper flakes and stir to combine.
4. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
5. 30-40 minutes before the soup is done cooking, add in the zucchini, pasta, and spinach.
6. Cook until pasta is tender.
7. Remove bay leaves. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
8. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with Parmesan cheese and mixed greens.
Don't forget to follow Toneupgirl Fitness on FB HERE